Ever get the feeling you're liking a few too many Facebook pages? Your Newsfeed is a jumble of updates from friends, compers and Facebook pages, and you're missing out on lots of competitions because it's just TOO busy? A really neat way of organising and focusing your comping on Facebook is to use Interest lists. You can access and add to your Interest Lists at www.facebook.com/bookmarks/interests – or at the bottom left of your Facebook Homepage. When you view your Interest List, it appears like a Newsfeed, but it's limited to updates from a certain group of pages or people that you choose. To add to your Interest List, when you're on a Page click on the Cog icon and choose 'Add to Interest Lists...' (see the photo at the top of this blog post) - you can then choose an existing list or create a new one. You can also Subscribe to other people's public Interest Lists.
To show you how they work, I've set up several Interest Lists using my personal Facebook Account:
- As a Mum (and with lots of pregnant friends!) I like to enter and share a lot of baby-related competitions, so I've set up a Public Interest List of Mum & Baby type pages at http://bit.ly/BabyList.
- As a blogger, I love to catch up with the latest posts from other bloggers and I find Facebook a more appealing way to access the latest links, rather than an RSS Reader. You can access my public list of favourite blogs at http://bit.ly/BlogrollList – lots of these will have competitions running.
- As a comper, I have a private list set up called 'Comps' - I have The PrizeFinder and SuperLucky added, and I've also added a lot of the busiest and most successful Facebook compers to it! If I don't have much time for comping, I know that a visit to this list will give me links to LOADS of Facebook comps, rather than scrolling through my normal Newsfeed to find them amongst everything else...
- I also have two private Interest Lists called 'Food & Drink' and 'Homes & Interiors'. I add to these whilst browsing magazines, and have found several new pages - and low entry competitions - in this way.
Using Interest Lists:
- You can focus your comping on certain prizes - for example, you might set up a list for local attractions and venues – then keep an eye out for ticket giveaways!
- You can add pages to your list rather than 'Liking' them - you may have noticed that as soon as you LIKE a page all your comping friends will hurry over there to see what's happening! By viewing page updates in a private Interest list, you can have your own little secret – and possibly even find comps that other compers don't know about!
- Once you have your lists set up, Facebook offers you 'List suggestions' (on the right of your list) for pages/people to add – again, you can find some great new pages by adding these!
If you've got other suggestions or ways of using Interest Lists for comping on Facebook, let me know!